Volunteer e-Tutors are an integral part of English Online Inc. and play a key role in the success of language acquisition for our learners. The ideal e-Tutor is a person who can commit 10 hours per learner (e.g. 1 hr/week x 10 weeks).
As a Volunteer e-Tutor, you will interact weekly with our English as Additional Language (EAL) learners to assist in the acquisition of English language skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking. Further, the volunteer e-Tutor will identify with the learners their language learning focus (i.e. speaking, listening, reading, and writing) and plan the topics/themes to be used to facilitate learning. The volunteer e-Tutor will communicate with the English Online Inc. regarding the learner’s progress and/or challenges.
The means of communication is up to the e-Tutor and learner. English Online Inc. encourages using Skype, email, telephone or other online tools to communicate.
- EAL/ESL teaching/tutoring experience and/or a TESL certificate
- Experience working with adult newcomers and immigrant community
- Demonstrated ability with regards to the computer skills and Internet is extremely beneficial; experience sending and receiving e-mails and attachments is a basic requirement
- Ability to be a team player, initiate and maintain relationships as you work with a variety of people and groups
- A police record check is mandatory
- Introduce self to learner
- Schedule time commitments
- Arrange for means of communication (e-mail, phone, Skype)
- Discuss and set learning goals and/or themes of interest for the learner
- Plan language activity/goals before interaction
- Provide feedback and guidance on language production
- Keep volunteer log of hours, learners and specifics of interaction
- Report on learner’s progress/challenges
- Engage in orientation and training sessions offered/suggested by English Online
- Commit 10 hours over 5 to 10 weeks.
What to Expect
Volunteer e-Tutor Training
English Online will provide comprehensive orientation and training necessary to fulfill the volunteer duties. Training will consist of two parts:
- Self-paced/asynchronous : Successful candidates receive a passwords for Volunteer Hub page on English Online website (http://www.myenglishonline.ca/volunteers/volunteer-hub/) accompanied by instructions on how to proceed. They explore training materials and reflect on their learning in the Volunteer Journal.
- Synchronous: Volunteers participate in a training webinar about English Online services, Volunteer program goals and expectations, Skype and other WEB 2.0 tools for teaching and learning. During the training session volunteers have time to discuss what they have learned and ask their questions.
With this training English Online aims to provide volunteers with the opportunity to exercise their qualities of self-directed learners to better understand English Online model and clients’ needs and develop online teaching skills.
Volunteer e-Tutor – Learner Match
Volunteers are asked to complete an online Match Survey. The Match Survey helps English Online perform appropriate e-Tutor-Learner matches, both from needs and skills perspective and time commitment.
We sign volunteer hours confirmation letters (10+ hours of volunteering, upon request) and issue volunteer recognition certificates (30+ hours of volunteering, at the end of the fiscal year) to our e-Volunteers!
Become an e-Volunteer: improve your digital skills and learn new perspectives… from the comfort of your own home!
Please forward your cover letter and resume to: